Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The Power of Love and Forgiveness and how it Figures into Discipline

I have recently been involved with a situation with someone who is close to me and how this person was in the process of making some life changes that are pretty dramatic.  I discovered during a conversation with this individual and another person within their circle of influence that possibly they were thinking of "shacking up" with their significant other.  As a Christian man I am not one who thinks highly of this way of living because it does take away from the relationship between the two who are in love, but even in a greater way it hurts their relationship with Christ and helps to spoil and tarnish their witness for Christ.

When I had the chance to speak with the one who was in the process of making this life change I confronted them about their choice.  How did I make that confrontation?  The person that I was dealing with was sure that I would yell at them for the potential mistake they were considering on making.  However, when Adam and Eve sinned in the garden of Eden did the Lord yell at them (Genesis 3: 8-9).  No, He went looking for them.  When the father of the prodigal son saw that his son had spent all that he had gotten from him and his son had come to his right senses in that he made his way home, the father ran to meet him and threw a huge party celebrating his return.  So how did a handle this situation.  Just like the Father God would.   I showed love and forgiveness along with stern instructions on why this was not a smart move to make.  When it comes to disciplining those you love you must be willing to put yourself in their shoes.  You must understand where they are in their relationship to you and to the Father God.  For if the Lord God can forgive David for his adulterous affair and still let him reign as King over Israel how can I come down so hard on a person who loves the Lord but is still learning their way and place in the Kingdom.  For if I had been overly harsh I may have crushed their spirit and instead of them learning from the experience it may have given them a place of hopelessness that may have led to them walking away from the One who loves them more than anyone.  And I don't want that blood on my hands.  Do you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment